- 16-year-old Sophie* attends a gathering at a friend’s house at 4 pm.
- Sophie drinks a bottle of vodka while the host parents party elsewhere on the property – not caring what’s happening in their home.
- Sophie passes out.
- Her eyes roll back.
- Her breathing becomes laboured.
- Her friends become distressed and wonder if they should ring an ambulance.
- The host parents order the ‘hindrance’ removed from their property!
- Sophie’s friends drag her outside, where a mother waits to collect her child at 7 pm.
- This concerned parent immediately takes Sophie to hospital in her car.
- There Sophie has her stomach pumped and is placed under observation for hours.
- What kind of people are these host parents?
- No duty of care for the kids in their home. No supervision. No ambulance. Nothing.
- Letting children drink so much. At that hour. Unsupervised.
- Worse, the new secondary supply law that goes live in February doesn’t cover BYO.
- What is this world coming to?!
- Parents! WAKE UP!
* This story is true. Only the name and photo are changed. Pray I don’t have to do likewise for you.
Naomi Oakley, Founder, Safe Partying Australia.