Pull the plug on energy drinks!

As I continue to lobby government stakeholders in relation to safe teen parties, yet more tragedy unfolds. Another young life wasted. A death that could have been avoided. Alcohol-related trauma is one of the biggest issues at teen events. My submission takes a holistic approach to its resolution. Sadly, it looks like it’s going to…

Failure to plan = planning to fail

The mayhem caused by unplanned teen parties is alarming. With no experience of planning a successful teen event, parents are continually putting kids in harm’s way. As Managing Director of U-Nome Security and Founder of Safe Partying Australia, I’ve planned and worked at more than 700 teenage parties. Every weekend, I see first-hand exactly why…

Teen parties & sexual assault

The link between teen parties and sexual assault is real and alarming. Here’s the latest horrific story. How many more times must this happen before we wake up from this nightmare?! I was recently involved in a situation that resulted in a young birthday boy being charged with sexual assault at a party. Prior to…

Folks away? Kids will play!

In recent weeks, my security industry contacts have reported an alarming trend. A growing number of parents are leaving their children at home while they go on holiday.  Why? Because they think that if their kids have a party while they’re away, they won’t know about it. And if they don’t know about it, they…

Who pays the mortgage?

The things people say! Here are things parents commonly say before a teen party. Along with the reality. ‘We know them; they’re all nice boys.’ Then they drink. ‘The kids will be okay in the pool while they drink.’ Then we have two broken noses and a brawl at the end of the night. ‘Our…

Gatecrashers – a protected species!

Around 90% of teen parties go off the rails because BYO alcohol isn’t controlled as it’s brought onsite. The host/parent who manages this common problem is almost there. Yet the remaining 10% of teen events fail because of a different problem: gatecrashers. I’ve worked hundreds of teen parties. I’ve had gatecrashers threaten to cut my…

Teen dreaming

I’m concerned at the growing number of licensed venues being used for teen parties. They raise issues parents need to know. Venues see teen events as easy money, but rarely convey the legal implications to parents. Two weeks ago, another gatecrasher horror story hit the media. A venue is liable for the event it hosts.…

As thick as two parents

I’ve taken security briefs for hundreds of teen events. There’s a moment at which I know I’m dealing with parents who are weak, stupid or both. Here’s how it goes. Happy families Parents ask me to visit their property to discuss safety and security measures. Their teenager is often present. It all starts well as…

The facts of life & death

I believe out-of-control teen parties are an epidemic. If police start keeping data on them, I’m certain we’ll see improvement. Alas, no Australian police force does. I’ve sent formal requests to the worst-affected states for police to keep figures for three months: Queensland and Western Australia are reviewing my applications. Victoria ‘Can’t support anonymous data…

Thrown to the wolves

Throughout my career (13 years at Victoria Police and 6 years specialising in teen events) I’ve seen my share of dreadful things. These days, I also receive many calls from staff from other security firms. They call because they’re concerned about the types of teen parties to which their employer is sending them. I think…